My favourite time of the day is when the night begins. This is the time where I can mostly concentrate in studying, writing and cooking. Having lived abroad for more than a decade where I got used to early dark evenings at 4 to 5pm, I am really struggling with my current status. Since I have returned back in Greece and as summer approaches I really find difficulties to get used to the new timing and the new environment.
I am lacking inspiration, I feel tired, I am sick with the spring allergies and to be honest I am often day dreaming about my new adventure and the escape exit.
As a result, today’s recipe is super easy and you don’t need much effort to make it. When I’m feeling like that, I’ll just cook some beetroots I always keep on my fridge. To accompany that, I will also make an instant sauce with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, spices, maple syrup and nuts, to serve with slices of beetroots. If I have planned ahead, there might be homemade bread butter / garlic rolls also. Today is only the beetroot recipe.
This salad can be the base of many other combinations such as the follows.
- Beetroot salad with greens. Use any green salad, add the beetroots slices, drizzle with the vinaigrette and garnish as you wish.
- Beetroot salad with avocado. Cut the pieces of the salad in small pieces and place in a bowl. Cut an avocado in half remove the stem and remove little bit of the flesh to make a small hole. Add the small pieces of the salad in the hole and drizzle with nuts, olive oil and lemon or lime.
- Beetroot salad with grilled tofu. Marinate slices of tofu with the same vinaigrette for 1 hour and bake until golden. Place tofu in a plate, add the beetroot slices and drizzle with more vinaigrette. Sprinkle some powdered nuts.
- Beetroot salad with coconut yogurt. Place the salad in a serving plate and drizzle with cold coconut yogurt. Mix well.
- Baked beetroot salad with roasted vegetables. Roast the vegetables of your choice and remove before got golden. Mix with the salad and bake for 10 more minutes until golden. Place hot in a plate, add some vegan butter on the top and serve immediately.
- ……. and much more.
- 8 middle size beets
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 olive oil
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup almonds without the skin
- Peel the beets and boil them for 30 minutes.
- Place the almonds in a pan and bake until golden.
- Mix the vinegar, maple syrup, salt, pepper and olive oil and put the Vinaigrette aside.
- Drain the beets and cut them in circular thin slices. Put them in a bowl, put the Vinaigrette and mix well. Serve in a plate, add the almonds and garnish with parsley.