Creamy Broccoli Soup
Baby it’s cold outside…and we need a soup right now. I have a quite “weird” relationship with soups. Either, I am really addicted to them and I am having one, each single day or I am not really “in the mood” for a few months. I really dislike the ready made packaged”soups” in small sachets from the supermarkets, I think they are far away what we call “A real soup”.
Broccoli soup is one of my favourites. During my working years in Qatar, I really had some great Broccoli soups, you know those creamy, rich in flavour ones that you can’t resist! I really miss them. Since I left, one of my purposes is how to master a perfect Broccoli soup. I think I got it! 🙂
Add Baked Onions
For vegetable broth, you can make your own or just use the ready made one. To make the baked onions cut an onion in half and then cut each half in half again. Put the pieces in a baking tray, heat up the coconut oil and sprinkle it over the onions. Bake them for 10-15 minutes until golden.
There two ways you can make the cream. Either you mix 2tbsp of flour in a cup of coconut milk, or after Sautéing your vegetables, add the flour, mix well with the vegetables and then add the coconut milk. Both will give you the same delicious result.
This soup is the ideal entree course for a Christmas dinner or lunch. It’s hearty, warm, creamy and fully nutritious. You can garnish it as you wish, I just chose baked onions. You can use pieces of broccoli stems, nuts or anything you love.
I would like to emphasise that the type of blender you use will determine the soup texture. If you want achieve a perfect velvet texture you have to use a high quality blender. In my case, for now, I just have a small blender. My dream is a Vitamix! Can you hear me Santa?? 🙂
In addition, if you want a thicker soup you can use 1tbsp more of flour in the recipe. I think I will go for a second tasting round. Bon Appetit! 🙂
- 2 cups broccoli, cut into small pieces
- 2 medium carrots, cut into small pieces
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil
- Salt, Pepper to taste
- 1 onion
- 2 teaspoons of coconut oil
- Prepare your ingredients - cut carrots into small pieces, cut small pieces of broccoli and chop the onion. Heat the coconut oil in a pan. Add the onions, carrots and broccoli. Sauté the vegetables for 10 minutes on medium / low heat.
- While the vegetables are cooked, prepare the cream. Mix the coconut milk with the flour. Add to vegetable mixture and stir. Slowly the mixture starts to thicken. If not, add 1 teaspoon more of flour. Then add the vegetable broth and nutritional yeast and leave to simmer until all the vegetables are tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Allow the mixture to cool for 15 minutes and blend into the blender according to your preferences. If you like a chewy soup blend just for few seconds, otherwise for 1-2 minutes. Moreover, if you want a more thin soup just add some more vegetable stock.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees. Cut an onion in half and each half in half again. Divide the onions into slices with your fingers. Put them in a baking dish and sprinkle with coconut oil. Mix well and bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve the soup and garnish with the baked onions and black pepper, or as you wish.
- Enjoy! 🙂