Traditional Greek Spinach Pie is a fluffy pie dough rolled out, filled with Greek herbs and cooked on the wall of a hot oven, where it puffs slightly up, then settles down into warm and crunchy chewiness. My production to pies started in Greece many years ago under my mother’s teaching.
Needless to say, I can proudly say that my mother makes the best Greek pies ever! One thing explained to me is that the dough, named phyllo (pastry) should be made up of a very thin layer and all the vegetables should be cut by hand, into small pieces. To be honest, up to date I am still struggling to master my mother’s technique, regarding the Phyllo. While I am often guilty of the “not thin” phyllo, my pies are successfully a delicious Greek treat.
Today’s pie is made of a Traditional Greek phyllo (pastry) and filled with Greek aromatic herbs. It is without cheese and instead nutritional yeast is used. Vegan, crispy, crunchy, aromatic, the perfect treat!! For the non-Vegans, you can add to the greens mixture 400 grammes of feta cheese, cut into small pieces.
Choose your herbs carefully and make sure you clean them very well. Follow the recipe steps and do not skip anything. It’s very important to oil each phyllo separately and sprinkles with water on the top so your pie will not be dry.
Instead of homemade dough, you can use the frozen pastry dough but the result will not be the same. This is one of those Greek dishes where the quality of the phyllo is very important, so I urge you to make your own.
Hope you like it as much I do. I am waiting for your comments and questions. Bon Appetite!
Greek Spinach pie with Homemade Phyllo
For the Phyllo
- 500 grams all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup corn flour
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 small cup warm water
- 3 Tbsp vinegar
For the filling
- 1 kg spinach
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1 bunch dill
- 1 bunch fresh onions
- 1/2 bunch mint
- 2 leeks
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Pan: a medium one.
- Sift the flour in a bowl and add the olive oil, vinegar, salt and little by little the water. Knead around 10-15 minutes or put it in a kneading machine for 10 minutes. If needed add more water or more flour. Knead until you get a soft dough. You separate in 4 small balls, cover and leave it to rest for 1 hour.
- Wash all the greens, drain and cut them into small pieces. Put the salt and mix with your hands very well and leave it to rest so all the liquids will be released. After you drain them very well with your hands. Add the olive oil, pepper, the flour and the nutritional yeast into the greens filling, mix well and separate into 3 portions.
- Put oil in a pan and heat up the oven to 200 degrees Celsius. You sprinkle corn flour is a clean surface and roll out each dough into phyllo. (as thin as possible). Put the 1st phyllo in the pan, sprinkle little oil and add the 1st portion of greens. Place the 2nd phyllo, sprinkle little olive oil and add the 2nd portion of greens. Place the 3rd phyllo, sprinkle little olive oil and add the 3rd portion of greens. Place the 4th phyllo on the top. Wrap the phyllo well around the pan. Pinch with a fork, sprinkle little oil, water and put it in the oven for around 30-50 minutes until golden.
- Take it out of the oven, let it cool for 15 minutes, cut and serve.
★ Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!