UPDATE 28 FEBRUARY 2018!
The blog on 28th February turned into Veganism. The following recipe is Vegetarian. To make it Vegan you just switch dairy products into soy products or another Vegan product. It will be just as delicious! 🙂
My Love for the lemons is endless, I just can’t get enough of the lemon aroma. I even drink the pure lemon juice itself with a great pleasure! Yes, I know its quite mouthwatering and bitter but I can’t help it.
Μy mother makes this cake since my childhood, but instead of lemon, she uses orange. I make a small change and use lemon this time. It has a fruity aroma and it’s not so sweet. If you do not like lemons, put less juice and zest on the recipe or you can put orange as the original recipe.
For a great mixture, the quality of yogurt is the secret to this cake. The yogurt has to be a Greek type one, which has a thick and nice texture without water. In addition, the quality of the butter plays a key role to the texture and the taste of the cake. Use the best quality of butter for the best result.
The cake is so fluffy, fruity and buttery that I just can’t have only one slice! It’s the ideal dessert for the breakfast time with your coffee or tea.
I just had some leftovers of the mixture and I bake a mini cake also. I let it cool down, removed the inner part and just added some Greek yogurt. The combination is just perfect and refreshing! Time for some coffee, cake and chat with my besties.
Lemon Cake with Greek yogurt
- 125 grams soft butter
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup thick cream yogurt
- half lemon juice and zest
- 250 grams flour
- a dash of salt
- 11 grams baking powder
- little bit sugar powder for the decoration
- Place the eggs, the butter and the yogurt on the room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 180º and position a rack in the centre of the oven. For a better cake texture place another baking tray filled with water, on the bottom of the oven. The cake will be more fluffy.
- Mix the soft butter with the sugar in a food processor (high speed) just until the sugar gets dissolved. Add the eggs gradually and mix again on low speed. Add the yogurt, lemon juice, zest, the flour gradually, the salt, the baking powder, pulse until combined. If the mix its too thick just add some more yogurt and a little bit of the lemon juice, if its too watery just add more flour.
- Grease a small rectangular pan and place the mix. Bake for around an hour without opening the oven. Any thin skewer or knife can be used as a cake tester. Insert it into the centre of the cake, it should come out clean.
- Cover it with a towel and leave it to cool down completely. Sprinkle some sugar powder on the top and enjoy!
★ Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
I made it into mini cupcakes with yoghurt and everybody loved it!!
Glas that you enjoyed it! 🙂