Vegetarian food in Greece
It may have taken a while to revisit Thessaloniki but I found one of the unique alternative restaurants in the heart of the city. This Vegan Restaurant Thessaloniki restaurant opened in August 2014, yet it quickly rose to operate one of the best Vegetarians / Vegan food.
Vegetarian and Vegan food has slowly been gaining a reputation as a bastion of food innovation. And I don’t doubt that for a bit. I have been dining in some of Greece‘s best-kept Vegan secrets for a few months now. I must say it’s quite an amazing experience. This so-called food revolution happening in Greece right now has seen many of the country’s best new Vegan restaurants sprouting like mushrooms in big cities. And for those of you searching for a Vegan culinary experience like no other, look no further than Roots!
The restaurant is in the heart of Thessaloniki near Laladika and Tsimiski road. Set on a quiet street across from a beautiful Byzantine church and beautiful local mini shops. The interior and exterior will remind visitors of a minimalist, it is buzzed with excited relaxing music and it is comfortably full with seemingly satisfied patrons.
Vegetarian food in Greece
We started with Roots’ famous Vegetable spring rolls, which is essentially a plate of 2 rolls filled with carrots, caramelized onions, peppers, mushrooms, truly remarkable and perfectly cooked served with a spicy sauce and greens. A lovely surprise!!
For the main course, we decided to go with a Burger accompanied by baked potatoes, Basmati rice with chickpeas curry, and exquisitely Vegan gyros. Full of protein and highly nutritious.
The Burger consisted of a patty filled with vegetable, vegan cheese, mayonnaise and accompanied with crispy potatoes grilled wrapped in flavored oil. The dish was executed perfectly, and the bright colors of the ingredients made it a feast for the eyes as well as the stomach.
Gyros consisted of juicy wrapped pitta bread, soy flavored bites, and incredible sauce. It is balanced perfectly with the baked baby potatoes. Toothsome indeed!!
However, there were a few desserts, but we went to a Cheesecake. Α crunchy biscuit made even richer with the addition of creamy layers between. This Cheesecake is a type of the perfect Vegan dessert and it has a flavor that everybody will love it. It’s a little nutty, with hints of vanilla and I could not believe that it’s Vegan! Paired with strawberry sauce, this cake is simply divine.
The service accompanies the high quality of cooking. You can get a smile out of all the waitresses. The work of Chef is too good to stay hidden for long. All the servings were big and at very reasonable prices.
There’s no doubt a table at Roots will quickly become the hottest reservation in town for Vegans, Vegetarians, and even meat-eaters. As a result, even if you are not a fan of this kind of cuisine, you will not be disappointed.
I highly recommend going to this Vegan restaurant in Thessaloniki. I can’t wait to return!
- Facebook page Vegetarian & Vegan Restaurant
- The restaurant organizes various events, such as Mexican nights. Watch out for their Facebook page for the upcoming ones.
- Address: Mpaslanou 4-6 – Thessaloniki, Greece
- Prices: 10-15 euro/person without wine.
Are you a traveler? I have written other vegan guides about various places around the world. Here are a few:
- Vegan in Greece | A complete guide
- Vegan in Santorini, Greece | The best Vegan restaurants
- Vegan Delivery in Thessaloniki | The best delivery in Greece
- Vegan Pizza Delivery | The best 6 eats in Thessaloniki, Greece
- Vegan in Italy | The Ultimate Guide
- Vegan in Glasgow, Scotland | The best restaurants
- Vegan in Romania | Restaurants
- Vegan in Bournemouth, England | Top 5 awesome restaurants
- Vegan Traveler | Everything you need to know
- 15 things to know before your trip to Greece
Related Posts about Greece including Greek Vegan Food:
- Things to know before your trip to Greece,
- 6 Pizza Delivery Eats in Thessaloniki, Greece,
- 7 Vegan Delivery Restaurants in Thessaloniki, Greece,
- Halkidiki Beaches, Kavourotripes, Greece,
- Eat as a Vegan in Greece,
- Greek Lagan Bread with Star Anise,
- Vegan Christmas Cookies (Melomakarona) | Low in Calories,
- Vegan Kourabiedes Baked With Coconut Sugar | Greek Christmas Cookies,
Vegan Greek Recipes