Engineering Job in Qatar
Are you a Mechanical Engineer, Electrical Engineer, Architect, Quantity Surveyor, Civil Engineer, Interior Designer, Environmental Engineer, Oil and Gas Engineer or Project Manager?? If the answer is yes and you are looking for a job in Qatar, then this post is for you! I wish I had this guide when I first start looking for a job. I would like to tell you, that it’s a quite long post as it is a detailed one. You can skip it and move to the end where more than 100 Engineering companies are listed. My advice: Read it through, if you are really interested in a job.
Let me tell you little things about myself and my profession. I am from Greece and I had worked in Qatar as a CAD Designer, Site Mechanical Engineer and Assistant Project Manager for 9 years in 4 companies (Locals, 1 British and 1 Australian). I chose to leave the country 1.5 years ago.
If you really want to find a job in Qatar, there are a lot of opportunities out there – Engineering Job in Qatar
Doha will host the World cup 2022 and the construction is booming. Some of the big projects are the Metro line, Lusail city and various stadiums which are all under construction. If you are really determined, for sure you will find one. BUT it’s up to your way of working, knowledge and your commitment if you will pass the probation period. On the other hand, there are other facts also that you may lose your jobs. Such as recession (oh yes it exists in Qatar also), lack of projects or other unwanted incidents.
I am assuming that you already take the decision to work in Qatar. You are aware also, that is a Muslim country and you are in the process of searching for an opportunity. For now, you can learn more about how the country was Back in 2006. Ok ready?
General Information – Engineering Job in Qatar
- All the Expats are obliged to have a working visa/sponsorship to be employed in Qatar.
- There are three scenarios. 1. Your search for a job while you are already in the country and in some companies you are hired as local (you lose all the benefits!) 2. You search for a job while you also in the country. Then you agree to the job and you return back to your country. Next, you are hired as an ex-pat (you have all the benefits) 3. You search for a job while you are abroad. Next, you are hired as an ex-pat (with all the benefits again).
- Regarding the benefits mentioned on the point above. If you are hired as an ex-pat, your company is obliged to pay you the ticket to Qatar, accommodation for the first months ( 2-3 or more or less depends on the company). In addition, sometimes, luggage allowance. If you are released or you decide to resign, the company will pay you the ticket back to your country. In some cases also, baggage allowance. Also, there are other benefits, mobile, accommodation, car, children school fees, etc, depending on your company and your nationality.
- New Qatar Labor Law: The entry, exit, and residence of expatriates – Please refer to this guide and read it carefully. new-Qatar-labor-law-the-entry-exit-and/23478
- Salaries. It’s a collection of a lot of facts, such a Nationality, years of experience, degrees, family, profession and much more. For more, you can have a look here but all depends mainly on your company and your nationality: salaries-Doha-qatar
- Working hours are according to your contract and the client’s requirements. Officially, In the main offices normally are from 8-5, 5 days a week. On Construction sites, it depends, normally 6 days a week for 8-10 hours per day or more. In some projects, you can work for 5 days a week. You basically follow the project’s progress and requirements. For example during Testing and Commissioning or Concreting you have to be present even after working hours or during night times. Moreover, during the holy month of Ramadan the hours are reduced to 6 hours per day in all the companies. (As per Qatari law).
- There are a few recruitment agencies (You can find the list below) that act as the middle chain between the companies and the employees. Be careful! IF ANY AGENCY ASKS YOU MONEY FOR YOUR CONTRACT APPLICATION OR ANY OTHER REASONS, 100% ITS A SCAM.
- The contract type depends on whether you are single or married and planning to bring your family along. Some companions provide visa/sponsorship for your family members too. The family is not considered a girlfriend, boyfriend, spouse, etc. ONLY married, window or separated 🙂 Do not forget that you are in a Muslim country.
- The majority of the companies have a probation period of 3 – 6 months. At the end of the probation if your performance is satisfactory, then here you are! Your contract will arrive for your signature. During probation, your manager has the right to release you even within 1-2 days’ notice and the same applies to you too.
- During the probation, you have a temporary visa and you are obliged to pass through fingerprints procedure and health checks up (blood test for HIV, Hepatitis B&C, and X-Ray screening for Tuberculosis).
- Let’s assume that you already succeed in the interview. Do not hurry up. You have to be patient for your visa to be approved by the main sponsor. Each foreign company which is based in Qatar, is sponsored by a Qatari sponsor. Please note that the main sponsor has a specific number of visas for each profession and gender. He is the one who gives the approval. In my case, I had to wait 4 months (oh yes!) in order for my visa to be approved. If the sponsor says no, even if you had succeeded in the interview, I am afraid you will never get the job.
- You don’t need to speak Arabic to be hired. English is widely spoken in all companies.
- The job interview is online or by your physical presence. Personally, I did not interact with online interviews.
- In big companies, the interview is held by more than 1 person. During my latest job, I had an interview with four people, HR Manager, Project Manager, Mechanical Engineer, and Resident Engineer.
- If you are hired as a Site Engineer, every time your company sends you to a new project you have to be first approved by the project client. They check your CV and in some cases, you are getting called in for an interview.
- Since 2013, all Engineers are required to pass the UPDA exam and register as Engineer in Qatar. It’s quite a long procedure. You can find more here: Qatar-UPDA-Registration-Procedure and here: mmup-engineer-registration-upd (Your company will tell you so)
- Bachelor’s degree is the minimum need to work as an Engineer. Below that, it goes to the class of worker, electrician, plumber, etc. You will have a lot of competition with Asian countries which considered as lower payment. They will prefer a worker from those countries than from Europe, America, Australia, or New Zealand.
- You can easily lose your job when your performance is not found satisfactory. Working in Qatar and especially on sites, most of the time, it’s hard work. The key is to love your work, respect the different cultures, respect their religion and be open-minded.
- Health and Safety is the number one priority on sites. You can lose your job if you are not complying with the site’s health and safety rules and rules.
- Respect, Racism, Ethnicity You are European and white. Two words will help you a lot in your work. The condition is with respect to everyone else and not considers yourself a “boss”. What do I mean by that? The majority of the employees on construction sites are Filipinos, Indians, Pakistanis, and Arabs. It depends on your company if you have other nationalities or not. Large companies have many Europeans, Americans, Australians, etc. If you think that because of your nationality and your color you can act like an idiot you are wrong. I would like to mention that on construction sites, everybody has an important key role. From the tea boy, Engineer, Manager up to the employee in the storage room. If you want to carry out your work successfully, believe me, you need them ALL, so better act equally to everybody.
- Women in Construction. Ladies, you can find the relevant article Here
(continue below the photos)
So, how do you actually find an Engineering job in Qatar:
Scenario 1: You are not physically in the country.
My best advice is pretty simple. Visit the country and start looking for a job. If you have a friend to stay with, then you are lucky! Otherwise, invest some money in hotels. Start hunting by printing your CV, communicating with the companies and asking them for an interview. Yes sometimes, this can work in Qatar! For Europeans, you can get a Tourist visa on arrival for a month. Extension of 1-2 months. I think the same applies to the rest of Nationalities, I am not sure, so better check it out.
Scenario 2: You are not in the country, the budget is tight and you can’t afford a visit.
1. Connect with the companies you want to work with and start emailing them directly. Even if they do not have any opportunities on their websites. In addition, start applying to all the positions that you can find. Do not think it’s impossible to find an Engineering job in Qatar through an online search. It’s way more difficult but it’s possible. It happened to me.
2. If you have connections, ask them whether they know anything about a job. Every single one! Even if there isn’t any, ask them to pass your CV to HR for future opportunities. I have a case of mine, where a previous colleague from my second company, moved to Dubai where afterward he lost his job. Two years later, he contacted me for any opportunities in my company. Despite the fact, that we did not have any at that time, I wrote an email to HR providing his CV. After a month, he got hired. Do you see? Yes, it can happen.
Scenario 3: You are already in the country because of your husband/wife/family.
You have plenty of time to find and chose a job. Apply online, call the companies, visit the companies, talk to friends. Even strangers can help! I got my latest job with my Engineer Landlord. So, do not give up!
Scenario 4: The job finds YOU!
Yes, this can happen as well. In this case, the choice is yours, either you accept the offer or not.
Note for women:
It’s not considered dangerous, difficult, and weird to search alone for a job while you are already in Qatar. My best girlfriend contacted 70 companies and visited them ALL. (I’ve done it too). In two months she found a job.
As Qatar is booming there are a lot of opportunities in Construction. The point is whether you want to take it or not. It’s not only about the money but about the experience also. (my payment during my first sight work was very limited but I accepted it. I wanted to gain experience in construction sites.) You will be working with so many big projects and interacting with many nationalities. You will gain valuable experience that you never imagined.
Building projects – Engineering Job in Qatar
On each Building project, you will mainly find five job categories, depending on the type of project you are working on:
1. Clients / Project Management
2. Consultants including Project management, Site supervision, Design, etc.
3. Main Contractors
4. Sub Contractors, suppliers, third-party commissioning companies, maintenance, etc.
5. Labor staff
As an Engineer Designer, it’s better to look for consulting companies. If you do not like office work, consultants can have site work. You can also, search for construction companies. For Architectural designers, there are decoration companies also. As a Quantity surveyor, you can work mainly as a Consultant. Project Managers can apply to both. In Qatar, though, you can find them mainly on sites or on the client’s side. Resident Engineers, work mainly, on sites.
In addition, there are Oil and Gas companies but I am not the ideal person to tell you about their working standards.
(continue below to the list)…
Here you can find more than 100 companies that you can apply to!
Agencies and General sites where you can register your CV – Engineering Job in Qatar
Engineering Consulting Companies including Project Management, Site supervision, etc.
- AECOM http://www.aecom.com/Careers
- PEO https://www.gulftalent.com/companies/private-engineering-office-peo
- Hills International http://www.hillintl.com
- GHD http://www.ghd.com/global/careers/
- Atkins http://www.atkinsglobal.com/en-GB
- Arup http://www.arup.com/Careers/Apply_for_a_job.aspx
- ACE http://www.ace-consultants.com
- MGQ http://www.mgq.qa
- Parsons http://www.parsons.com/careers/Pages/default.aspx
- KEO http://www.keoic.com
- Kentz http://www.kentz.com
- QIT http://www.qitworldwide.com/
- White Young http://www.wyg.com/3careers/careers.php
- Thomas http://thomasconsultants.ca
- Hyder https://www.linkedin.com/company/hyderconsulting
- MZ & Partners http://www.mzandpartners.com/
- ECG http://www.ecgsa.com/jobvacancies1
- Louis Berger group http://careers.louisberger.com/
- Cico http://www.cicoconsultants.com/careers.html
- CEG http://www.ceg-qatar.com
- Louis Berger group http://careers.louisberger.com/
- COWI http://www.cowi.com
- GEIC http://www.geicqatar.com
- AEB http://www.aeb-qatar.com/
- Apple Engineering http://appleengineeringconsultants.com/qatar
- Burns & Mc Donnell http://www.burnsmcd.com/locations/doha-qatar
- ASCO http://www.ascoqatar.com
- EGEC http://www.egec-xprt.com
- ALNOUR http://www.alnour-ncg.com/index.asp
- CGC http://www.geicqatar.com/
- ERGA https://www.erga.com
- GCEEC http://www.gceec.com
- ECO http://www.eco-qatar.com/english/
- QMP http://www.qpm.com.qa/english/Careers/Pages/default.aspx
- ASTAD https://apps.astad.qa/my.policy
- EGIS http://www.egis-group.com/action/realisations/project-management-doha-metro-qatar
- Faithful and Gould https://www.fgould.com
Main Engineering Contractors
- ACE GROUP http://www.acecgroup.com
- Bechtel http://www.bechtel.com/careers.html
- Gulfhousing http://www.gulfcontracting.com
- HBK http://hbkcontracting.com
- Midmac http://www.midmac.net
- CDC – http://www.cdc-qatar.com/about-cdc/career.html
- Aljaber trading http://www.jtc-qa.com
- Amana http://www.amanabuildings.com/careers/
- Turner www.turnerconstruction.com,
- ABB http://www.abb.com
- Voltas http://www.voltas.com/contact/overseas.asp
- Amana http://www.amanabuildings.com
- Marbu http://www.marbucontracting.com
- Siemens http://www.siemens.com
- Mace group http://www.macegroup.com
- Aktor http://www.aktor.gr
- JNP http://www.jnpqatar.com
- QDVC http://www.qdvc.com/index.php/en/
- QBEC http://www.qbec-qatar.com/overview.html
- Archirodon http://www.archirodon.net
- AL Darwish http://www.aldarwisheng-qatar.com
- DRAKE & SCULL http://www.drakescull.com
- Black cat http://www.blackcat.qa
- Qatar Building http://www.qatarbuildingcompany.com
- AL BADER http://www.albadercompany.com
- Ramaco http://ramaco-qatar.net
- Strabag http://www.strabag-international.com
- Al Muftah http://www.almuftah.com
- LGC http://www.lgc-global.com
- Tadmur http://www.tadmurcontracting.com
- ANEL http://www.anel.com.tr
- Lane http://www.lanebv.com
- HLG http://www.hlgcontracting.com/en/section/company-overview
- Qatar rail http://www.qr.com.qa – Metro
- Impregilo http://www.salini-impregilo.com/en/group/profile.html – Metro
- Porr Group https://www.porr-group.com/en/group/about-us/strategy/ – Metro
- FCC http://www.fccco.com/en – Metro
- SBG http://www.sbg.com.sa/history2.html – Metro
- Rizzani http://www.rizzanideeccher.com/eng/contacts.asp – Metro
- SECC http://www.secc.co.kr/eng/html/index.asp – Metro
- Al Huda http://www.alhudaengineering.com – Metro
For more, you can have a look here: List of construction companies
Engineering Oil and Gas
- Energy City http://www.energycity.com
- QCHEM http://www.qchem.com.qa/internet/Pages/default.aspx
- Fuel Additives Company https://www.qafac.com.qa
- Petrochemical Company – www.qapco.com
- Qatar Gas https://www.qatargas.com
- ENERCO http://www.enereco.com
- Target http://www.target.ae/?cmd=cms__guest_home
- Ras Laffan Industrial City http://www.qpic.qa/Pages/Home.aspx
- Ras Gas https://www.rasgas.com
- Sasol Chevron http://www.sasol.com
- Shell http://www.shell.com.qa
- Doha Petroleum http://www.dopet.com/dopet/
- Woqod https://www.woqod.com
- UDC http://www.udcqatar.com
- Barwa http://www.barwa.com.qa
- Qatari Diar http://www.qataridiar.com/
- UDC http://www.udcqatar.com
- Ezdan http://www.ezdanholding.qa
- Lusail http://www.lusail.com
- The Pearl Qatar http://www.thepearlqatar.com
- NDIA https://dohahamadairport.com – Not a real estate but you can apply for maintenance Engineer.
Interior Designer and Architectural
- This site has a list of Architectural firms. http://architectshub.com/memberdirectory
In addition, you can work as a supplier, maintenance Engineer and much more. Keep in mind that generally, the payments are lower. Please find below some companies.
You can find supplier companies here: http://www.qatcom.com/listings/qatar-search/electrical-engineering-supplies
You can find Mechanical companies here: http://www.qatcom.com/listings/qatar-search/air-conditioning-contractors, http://www.qatcom.com/listings/qatar-search/pneumatics, http://www.qatcom.com/listings/qatar-search/pneumatics, http://www.qatcom.com/listings/search?what=fire+Engineering+Suppliers&searchtype=both (click on each class that is listed).
That’s a good list to start with your job hunting and find an Engineering Job in Qatar. I wish you GOOD LUCK! If you have any corrections please do not hesitate to contact me. I would be happy to help!
As-Salaam-Alaikum (Peace be upon you)
P.S. Photos sources: 1. Internet, 2. few of my photos 3. My friend’s – his name is Marvin and he is a great Photographer!
This is an excellent thoroughly researched and clearly comprehensive guide. Qatar is an amazing place but your guide will definitely help people make the right choices.