This Vegan garlic sauce is a blend used in Greek cuisine and it can be found in lots of Greek restaurants. Its called Skordalia. It is a tasty blend of garlic, potatoes, aromatic olive oil and spices. It is worth the effort to find and have on hand to make ordinary dishes special.
I think lots of people love Garlic! Plus this recipe it’s like you’re eating something healthy. After all, it full of flavour and garlic is good for your health, right?
Besides that its Vegan! What more can you ask?
You can add this vegan aioli on your bread, on your pasta or your other favourite dishes.
Why this Recipe Works?
- The use of mashed potatoes in combination with garlic gives a deep flavour on this sauce.
- It’s gluten-free!
Vegan Garlic sauce Q&A
Can I freeze it?
I would not recommend it. It’s better to make it fresh as soon as you want to consume it.
Can I replace the potatoes with something else?
Oh yes! If you don’t like potatoes, just replace them with cooked white beans or chickpeas. Just mix them with paprika to get the same nutty flavour. You can find the recipes here ->
Another option is to replace them with bread, the soft part.
Can I omit the garlic?
I am afraid not. This recipe it is all about garlic.
Can I replace the potatoes with sweet potatoes?
Of course. Just add a little bit more salt and vinegar.
I don’t have a blender, what can I do?
No problem! Mix all the liquids and spices together. Peel and mash the potatoes very well. Mix everything together and here it is! Equally delicious!
So, just to sum up. You will love this recipe because its:
Super Easy to make
It’s full of flavours
Step by Step Instructions:
Gather all the ingredients (Photo 1)
Place a pot with warm in high heat and let it boil (Photo 2) Add 1 teaspoon of salt.
Peel the potatoes, Cut them into small pieces and add them to the pot of boiling water (Photo 3)
Boil for 15-30 minutes, until they are soft. Let them cool for 5 minutes.
Keep some of the potatoes water. In a food processor, add the potatoes. olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper (Photo 4)
Beat until the garlic completely dissolves.
Add little of the potato liquid and blend again until you get a smooth consistency. Enjoy!
- Keep it outside the fridge for 1 day or in the fridge for up to a week.
- Let it cool completely before putting the sauce on the fridge
- Instead of vinegar, you can add lemon or lime.
- Rinse the potatoes before and after cooking to reduce the gumminess of the potato purée.
You can use the sauce as a spread on this tasty Greek Bread with star anise or with Greek Pita Bread.
Also, you can put it on the top of a Garlic Bread.
So do you like this tasty Vegan Garlic Sauce? Let me know in the comments and please rate the recipe, too, Thanks!
Vegan Garlic Sauce
- 5 Potatoes large, peeled and cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic
- Place a pot with warm in high heat and let it boil.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Peel the potatoes, Cut them into small pieces and add them to the pot of boiling water.
- Boil for 15-30 minutes, until they are soft. Let them cool for 5 minutes.
- Keep some of the potatoes water. In a food processor, add the potatoes. olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Beat until the garlic completely dissolves.
- Add little of the potato liquid and blend again until you get a smooth consistency. Enjoy!
Are you planning to make this Vegan Garlic Sauce Recipe? I LOVE to see your creations. Please take a photo and tag @MANINIOPK on Instagram with the hashtag #MANINIOPK.