Upside-down Apple pie!
I have to make a confession. I am addicted to apples and cinnamon. When I began cooking in Greece, my first attempt was in Apple pies. Many years ago. I could spend endless hours in my kitchen, making experiments with these ingredients. But now I can show you how to make the best upside-down Apple pie!
I have tried a big amount of recipes with apples. Apples on the top, apples on the bottom, apples between, plain apples with various other flavors, apples in savory dishes and much much more. Bring me apples and I can do anything with them! When I’m in the kitchen, I know I have to do a little thinking about the ways that I will mix the flavors. I try, I fail and try again. Endless procedure until I am satisfied.
This recipe is an Upside version and can satisfy any Apple cake lovers. It’s Vegan, not so sweet and low in calories. Choose crunchy apples and preferably mix reds and green for a twisted taste.
If you are a Vegetarian you can replace recipe’s cake with make any vanilla cake.
Upside-down Apple pie | Vegan
- ---- For the Pastry ----
- 250 grams flour
- 125 grams Almond milk
- 118 grams sunflower oil
- 1 small glass water
- 125 grams sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ---- For the Apples ----
- 6 big apples cut in slices
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 6 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp grinded ginger
- 1 tsp orange peel
- 1 small glass water
- Cook the Apples: Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celcius.
- Clean, peel and cut the apples into slices. Mix your apples with the cinnamon, ginger and the orange peel.
- Put little oil in a pan, sprinkle some flour and the half of the sugar. Add the apples into a half circles and sprinkle the rest of the sugar on the top. Bake for 15 minutes until half cooked and let them cool.
- For the Pastry:Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celcius. Combine all the liquids & sugar together in a bowl and mix well. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. If it's too thick or too thin just add a little more water accordingly.
- Final steps: Add the pastry on the top of the cooled apples and bake for around 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and let it cool for 20 minutes.
- Put a plate on the top and turn upside down. Serve and Enjoy!! 🙂
★ Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!