Mpriam is a Traditional Greek Summer dish, consists of a big variety of vegetables, flavoured with olive oil, tomato juice and spiced with black pepper, salt, cinnamon and coriander. It is cooked on the wall of a hot oven, where it boils slightly up, then settles down into warm and soft chewiness. My production to Mpriam started in Greece many years ago under my mother’s teaching.
Needless to say, I can proudly say that my mum makes one of the best Mpriams ever! Use fresh vegetables as possible and cut into different shapes depending on their cooking ability. Cut the soft vegetables such as eggplant, zucchini and onions into large pieces. Cut the harder vegetables into thin, small pieces, such as sweet potatoes and potatoes. The rest in small pieces such as tomato and peppers.
Cut the soft vegetables such as eggplant, zucchini and onions into large pieces. Cut the harder vegetables into thin, small pieces, such as sweet potatoes and potatoes. Lastly, cut in small pieces the tomatoes and peppers.
This Mpriam consists of eggplants, potatoes, sweet potatoes, zucchini, green peppers onions and garlic. Traditional Greek Mpriam does not consist sweet potatoes. This my own addition to the dish. It makes it really special and species up all the rest of the flavours. Vegan, crispy, crunchy, aromatic, the perfect Vegan Summer food!! For the non-Vegans, you can add to the vegetables a mixture of 100 grammes of feta cheese. Cut into small pieces and place it on your serving plate.
Choose your vegetables carefully and make sure they are free of black spots. Follow the recipe steps and do not skip anything. Therefore, it’s very important to oil the pan very well so your dish will not be dry.
Furthermore, instead of these vegetables, you can use any vegetables you like. This is one of those Greek dishes where the quality of the vegetables is very important. I urge you to use as fresh as possible.
The addition of the Cinnamon is optional, it brings up sweetness to the dish. If you don’t like the sweet flavour replace it with red pepper.
Hope you like it as much I do. I am waiting for your comments and questions. Bon Appetite!
- 1 sweet potato
- 3 potatoes
- 2 onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tomatoes
- 2 eggplants
- 4 zucchini
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- salt to taste
- Wash all your vegetables thoroughly and cut them into pieces. The eggplants, zucchini, onions, garlic into larger pieces. The potatoes and into smaller pieces. Pepper into medium size.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees. Oil a medium size pan and add all your vegetables.
- Put the tomatoes in very hot water for 10 minutes and peel them. Cut them into very small pieces and add them to the vegetables.
- Mix all well and add your spices. Add a half cup of water and 1/3 cup of olive oil. Mix well.
- Bake it for around 1 hour until your vegetables are soft & crispy and all the water has been absorbed.
- Do not add more than 1/2 cup of water as the vegetables tend to remove their juice while cooking.